Shriram Transport Finance has come out with latest NCD (non-convertible debentures) offering up to 9.70% interest rate. The issue opens on October 15 and closes on October 29, 2018.
Shriram Transport is part of Shriram Capital and is a dominant player in commercial vehicle and pre-owned vehicles finance.
Shriram Transport Finance NCD – Significant Points:
- Offer Period: October 15 to 29, 2018
- Annual Interest Rates for Retail Investors: 9.12% to 9.70% depending on tenure [0.25% additional interest rate for Senior Citizens]
- Price of each bond: Rs 1,000
- Minimum Investment: 10 Bonds (Rs 10,000)
- Max Investment Limit for Retail Investor: Rs 10 Lakhs
- Credit Rating: “CRISIL AA+/Stable” and “IND AA+ / Outlook: Stable”
- NCD Size: Issue size is Rs 300 crore (with an option to retain over-subscription amount of up to Rs 1,350 crore more)
- NRIs are NOT eligible to apply to this NCD issue.
- Allotment: First Come First Serve
- Listing: Bonds would be listed on BSE and NSE and will entail capital gains tax on exit through secondary market
Also Read – Know NCD – Investment Tips, TDS and Taxation
Shriram Transport Finance NCD – Investment Options:
There are 7 options of investment in Shriram Transport Finance NCD.
Senior Citizens on the Deemed Date of Allotment shall be eligible for an additional incentive of 0.25% p.a. provided the NCDs issued under the proposed Issue are continued to be held by such investors. Accordingly, the amount payable on redemption to such Senior Citizens for NCDs under series VI and Series VII is Rs 1,318.67 and 1,592.70 per NCD respectively provided its held till maturity.
Company shall allocate and allot Series III NCDs wherein the Applicants have not indicated their choice of the relevant NCD Series.
The bonds can be purchased in Demat Form only.
Shriram Transport Finance NCD – Who can Apply?
This issue is open to all Indian residents, HUFs and Institutions.
- Category I – QIB Portion – 10% of the issue is reserved
- Category II – Corporate Portion – 10% of the issue is reserved
- Category II – HNIs – 40% of the issue is reserved
- Category III – Retail Individual Investors including HUFs – 40% of the issue is reserved
However NRIs cannot apply for this NCD.
Why you should invest?
- The credit rating is AA+ which is good for investment purpose
- The NCD is secured, which means the above debt is backed by assets of the company
- The interest rates are 2%-3% higher than your regular Bank FDs
- No TDS if invested in Demat Form
Also Read: Highest Interest Rate on Recurring Deposits
Why you should not invest?
- The banks have started increasing interest rates on fixed deposits and hence it may not be good idea to invest for long term (DO not go for 10 year tenure – you might get better opportunities going forward).
- You can also invest in high rated company fixed deposits or Small Bank Fixed Deposits offering 9%
- For people in highest tax bracket Tax free bonds are trading at yields of 6.1% to 6.3% – which would turn out to be better and more secure investment
How to Apply?
If you have Demat account apply through that or ASBA facility provided by banks. It’s the easiest way to apply and also avoids a lot of hassle in terms of KYC and paper work
In case you don’t want to do it online, you can download the application form from Financial Institutions and submit to collection centers.
- My recommendation is to invest some part of your Fixed Income investment in this NCD Issue (3 or 5 year tenure bonds only)
- You should always have diversified portfolio be it fixed deposit, NCD or equity investment
- Its good idea to remain invested till maturity because liquidity on exchanges is low and hence you would get lower than market value
If you plan to invest in this issue, do it on first day as most NCD issues are over-subscribed within few days of opening.