How to Save Income Tax for FY 2017-18 – Download Complete Tax Planning Guide

Tax Planning ebook for FY 2017-18

Tax Planning ebook for FY 2017-18

We are releasing the eBook on Tax Planning which tells you how to save income tax for FY 2017-18 (AY 2018-19). This is a short 43 slide power point presentation (in pdf) which covers all the tax saving sections and investments applicable for salaried or business tax payers.

But before that lets look at the changes that happened in Income Tax laws in Budget 2017.

Changes in Income Tax Rules:

1. The tax rate for income between Rs 2.5 lakh to Rs 5 lakhs has been reduced to 5% from 10%

2. 10% Surcharge introduced for Income between Rs 50 Lakhs to Rs 1 crore

3. Tax Rebate under Section 87A reduced to Rs 2,500 for income up to Rs 3.5 Lakhs

4. Tax exemption under RGESS (Rajiv Gandhi Equity Scheme) has been discontinued from FY 2017-18

Also Read: Income Tax Slabs for FY 2017-18 (AY 2018-19)

5. Loss from House/Property capped at Rs 2 Lakh irrespective if the house is rented or self-occupied

6. NPS tax deduction for self-employed increased to 20% of gross income

Mentioning Some Points I am frequently asked

1. There is NO tax benefit on Infrastructure Bonds

2. There is NO separate tax slab for Men & Women

For Details of changes read: 21 changes in Income Tax laws from April 1, 2017

You can download the tax planning eBook for FY 2017-18 by clicking the link below. As stated it covers all the income tax sections available for salaried and business tax payers:

Download Tax Planning eBook for FY 2017-18 (AY 2018-19) 2.76 MB

The new version of Income Tax Planning ebook for FY 2018-19 is now available for Download on this link.

We give a brief of all the tax saving sections below:

1. Section 80C/80CCC/80CCD

These 3 are the most popular sections for tax saving and have lot of options to save tax. The maximum exemption combining all the above sections is Rs 1.5 lakhs. 80CCC deals with the pension products while 80CCD includes Central Government Employee Pension Scheme.

You can choose from the following for tax saving investments:

  1. Employee/ Voluntary Provident Fund (EPF/VPF)
  2. PPF (Public Provident fund)
  3. Sukanya Samriddhi Account
  4. National Saving Certificate (NSC)
  5. Senior Citizen’s Saving Scheme (SCSS)
  6. 5 years Tax Saving Fixed Deposit in banks/post offices
  7. Life Insurance Premium
  8. Pension Plans from Life Insurance or Mutual Funds
  9. NPS
  10. Equity Linked Saving Scheme (ELSS – popularly known as Tax Saving Mutual Funds)
  11. Central Government Employee Pension Scheme
  12. Principal Payment on Home Loan
  13. Stamp Duty and registration of the House
  14. Tuition Fee for 2 children

We have done a comprehensive analysis of all the above available options and you can choose which is the best for you.

Know More: Which is the Best Tax Saving Investments for you u/s 80C?

2. Section 80CCD(1B) – Investment in NPS

Budget 2015 has allowed additional exemption of Rs 50,000 for investment in NPS. This is continued this year too. We have done a complete analysis which you can read by clicking the link below.

Invest or Not: Should you Invest Rs 50,000 in NPS to Save Tax u/s 80CCD (1B)?

3. Payment of interest on Home Loan (Section 24/80EE)

The interest paid up to Rs 2 lakhs on home loan for self-occupied or rented home is exempted u/s 24. Earlier there was NO limit on interest deduction on rented property. Budget 2017 has changed this and now the tax exemption limit for interest paid on home loan is Rs 2 lakhs, irrespective of it being self-occupied or rented. However for rented homes any loss in excess of Rs 2 lakhs can be carried forward for up to 7 years.

Budget 2016 had provided additional exemption up to Rs 50,000 for payment of home loan interest for first time home buyers. To avail this benefit the value of home should not exceed Rs 50 lakhs and loan should not be more than Rs 35 lakhs.

Also Read: Should you Invest in Capital Gain Bonds to Save Taxes?

4. Payment of Interest on Education Loan (Section 80E)

The entire interest paid (without any upper limit) on education loan in a financial year is eligible for deduction u/s 80E. However there is no deduction on principal paid for the Education Loan.

The loan should be for education of self, spouse or children only and should be taken for pursuing full time courses only. The loan has to be taken necessarily from approved charitable trust or a financial institution only.

The deduction is applicable for the year you start paying your interest and seven more years immediately after the initial year. So in all you can claim education loan deduction for maximum eight years.

More details @ Tax benefit on Education Loan

5. Medical insurance for Self and Parents (Section 80D)

Premium paid for Mediclaim/ Health Insurance for Self, Spouse, Children and Parents qualify for deduction u/s 80D. You can claim maximum deduction of Rs 25,000 in case you are below 60 years of age and Rs 30,000 above 60 years of age.

An additional deduction of Rs 25,000 can be claimed for buying health insurance for your parents (Rs 30,000 in case of either parents being senior citizens). This deduction can be claimed irrespective of parents being dependent on you or not. However this benefit is not available for buying health insurance for in-laws.

HUFs can also claim this deduction for premium paid for insuring the health of any member of the HUF.

To avail deduction the premium should be paid in any mode other than cash. Budget 2013 had introduced deduction of Rs 5,000 (with in the Rs 25,000/30,000 limit) is also allowed for preventive health checkup for Self, Spouse, dependent Children and Parents. Its continued to this year too.

More Details @ Tax Benefit on Health Insurance u/s 80D

6. Treatment of Serious disease (Section 80DDB)

Cost incurred for treatment of certain disease for self and dependents gets deduction for Income tax. For very senior citizens (more than 80 years of age) the deduction amount is up to Rs 80,000;  while for  senior citizens (between 60 to 80 years of age) it Rs 60,000 and for all others its Rs 40,000. Dependent can be parents, spouse, children or siblings. They should be wholly dependent on you.

To claim the tax exemption you need a certificate from specialist from Government Hospital as proof for the ailment and the treatment. In case the expenses have been reimbursed by the insurance companies or your employer, this deduction cannot be claimed.In case of partial reimbursement, the balance amount can be claimed as deduction

Diseases Covered:

  1. Neurological Diseases
  2. Parkinson’s Disease
  3. Malignant Cancers
  4. AIDS
  5. Chronic Renal failure
  6. Hemophilia
  7. Thalassaemia

Also Read: 3 Tax Payers who would Pay more Tax after Budget 2017

8. Physically Disabled Tax payer (Section 80U)

Tax Payer can claim deduction u/s 80U in case he suffers from certain disabilities or diseases. The deduction is Rs 75,000 in case of normal disability (40% or more disability) and Rs 1.25 Lakh for severe disability (80% or more disability)

A certificate from neurologist or Civil Surgeon or Chief Medical Officer of Government Hospital would be required as proof for the ailment.

Disabilities Covered

  1. Blindness and Vision problems
  2. Leprosy-cured
  3. Hearing impairment
  4. Locomotor disability
  5. Mental retardation or illness
  6. Autism
  7. Cerebral Palsy

Also Read: How to Calculate Income Tax? – explained with example

9. Physically Disabled Dependent (Section 80DD)

In case you have dependent who is differently abled, you can claim deduction for expenses on his maintenance and medical treatment up to Rs 75,000 or actual expenditure incurred, whichever is lesser. The limit is Rs 1.25 Lakh for severe disability conditions i.e. 80% or more of the disabilities. Dependent can be parents, spouse, children or siblings. Also the dependent should not have claimed any deduction for self disability u/s 80DDB.

To claim the tax benefit you would need disability certificate issued by state or central government medical board.

You can also claim tax exemption on premiums paid for life insurance policy (in tax payers’ name) where the disabled person is the beneficiary. In case the disabled dependent expires before the tax payer, the policy amount is returned back and treated as income for the year and is fully taxable.

40% or more of following Disability is considered for purpose of tax exemption

  1. Blindness and Vision problems
  2. Leprosy-cured
  3. Hearing impairment
  4. Locomotor disability
  5. Mental retardation or illness

Also Read: How to Pay 0 Income Tax on Rs 11 Lakh Salary?

10. Donations to Charitable Institutions (Section 80G)

The government encourages us to donate to Charitable Organizations by providing tax deduction for the same u/s 80G. Some donations are exempted for 100% of the amount donated while for others its 50% of the donated amount. Also for most donations, the maximum exemption you can claim is limited to 10% of your gross annual income. Please note that only donations made in cash or cheque are eligible for deduction. Donations in kind like giving clothes, food, etc is not covered for tax exemption.

How to Claim Sec 80G Deduction?

  1. A signed & stamped receipt issued by the Charitable Institution for your donation is must
  2. The receipt should have the registration number issued by Income Tax Dept printed on it
  3. Your name on the receipt should match with that on PAN Number
  4. Also the amount donated should be mentioned both in number and words

Also Read: 25 Tax Free Incomes & Investments in India

11. Donations for Scientific Research (Section 80GGA)

100% tax deduction is allowed for donation to the following for scientific research u/s 80GGC

  1. To a scientific research association or University, college or other institution for undertaking of scientific research
  2. To a University, college or other institution to be used for research in social science or statistical research
  3. To an association or institution, undertaking of any programme of rural development
  4. To a public sector company or a local authority or to an association or institution approved by the National Committee, for carrying out any eligible project or scheme
  5. To the National Urban Poverty Eradication Fund set up

Also Read: How you Loose Money in FD?

12. Donations to Political Parties (Section 80GGC)

100% tax deduction is allowed for donation to a political party registered under section 29A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951 u/s 80GGC. The maximum exemption you can claim is limited to 10% of your gross annual income

Download Tax Planning eBook for FY 2017-18 (AY 2018-19) 2.76 MB

13. House Rent in case HRA is not part of Salary (Section 80GG)

In case, you do not receive HRA (House Rent Allowance) as a salary component, you can still claim house rent deduction u/s 80GG. Tax Payer may be either salaried/pensioner or self-employed.

To avail this you need to satisfy the following conditions:

  1. The rent paid should be more than10% of the income
  2. No one in the family including spouse, minor children or self should own a house in the city you are living. If you own a house in different city, you have to consider rental income on the same

The House Rent deduction is lower of the 3 numbers:

  1. Rs. 5,000 per month [changed from Rs 2,000 to Rs 5,000 in Budget 2016]
  2. 25% of annual income
  3.  (Rent Paid – 10% of Annual Income)

You need to fill form no 10BA along with the tax return form

More details @ Claim Tax Benefit for Rent Paid u/s 80GG

Along with the tax saving sections and investments for both salaried and business, it also has details about all the common salary components and their tax treatment. This section can help you to plan your salary components in case your company offers such facility.

We hope that this eBook (in pdf/ppt format) would help you in understanding, planning and saving taxes.

Please give us your feedback and help us improve!

51 thoughts on “How to Save Income Tax for FY 2017-18 – Download Complete Tax Planning Guide

  1. For the second home loan ( first home loan is over already), can we claim both principal and interest (upto 2L) – even if we show this as idle property ( not – letout ) .?

    • Yes you can. However please remember that you need to show both houses while filing return and you can have only one house as self-occupied or vacant. The 2nd house has to be shown as deemed rent in case its vacant or self-occupied.

  2. sushil pandey says:

    really helpful article for tax saving

  3. Venu G Nair says:

    for retired central govt employees, is there any excemption or rebate on the the pension income, or to be treated as salary income

  4. R. Naveen kumar says:

    I worked as a private employee in a private company and i took VRS. then i got vrs benefits as Rs. 12 lacs under section 10 10 (c). how much amount exempt from tax.

  5. Hi, Amit

    Thanks for sharing such an information worthy article about the income tax. I have taken education loan for studying but did not pay any interest at that time. Now I am doing job and paying off my loan. One of my office colleague told me that I can get rebate on interest. Can you please enlighten me regarding this.

  6. Biswajeet Rana says:

    Thank you for this nicely put, detailed and graphically appealing way of passing on info. I was very impressed with your last year’s work and was looking forward to this year’s. It’s one-stop tax savings info! Kudos I shared on Social Media too.

  7. Sir,

    i am doing business of vehicle repairs & body repairs. my last year FY 15-16 income was 60.0 lac approx. i had not file IT return. Let me know, i have to do Service Tax registration or any lump sum settlement with authority.


    • Right now you need to do GST registration. Other than that filing income tax is compulsory with such income. DO so at the earliest. All you need is PAN card.

  8. Very nice post. it’s Really helpful

  9. SURESHKUMAR says:

    very useful thank u so much

  10. Mishra Ratnakar says:

    Knowledge is nectar !!! get it politely

  11. Hi Amit, really nice article, thanks for mentioning information about all the section we can use to save our tax its really very helpful.

  12. Thank you, very helpful

  13. Manish Hinger says:

    Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us, which can help us for saving the income tax.

  14. Hey Amit, it’s been great learning reading your article. Especially it was very informative for people like me who doesn’t have any tax savings knowledge.
    I along with some of my friends graduated and started earning last years only that time we had no knowledge about such things now after reading your article yesterday only i was discussing it with my friends and we changed our perspective completely about how to approach financial strategies in order to accomplish our long term financial goals.
    Looking forward for your ensuing articles .
    I will be glad if you can cover where to invest money either in SIP or LIC as i am bit puzzled .
    Thanks in anticipation !

    • Thanks for your appreciation! I had written about Personal Finance Tips for your First Job might be helpful for you and your friends. Also Insurance is NEVER an investment so don’t ever go for policies as investment. Even fixed deposits are better and mutual funds even better!

      • Ankur,IncomeBoy says:

        okay, Thanks Amit.
        Can you give your insights about bitcoin.?
        Since i have got some suggestions but after refusal of bitcoins as digital currency by European Union.
        Please suggest.!

        • Sorry I am not much in Bitcoin. Digital currencies might be the future but I doubt Bitcoin would be able to sustain the prices its trading right now mainly due to new competition and also governments going against it. Most governments obviously hate such currencies as they cannot control them. In India its still not illegal.

  15. Suresh Patel says:

    Great information amit, thanks for listing out all the changes in the income tax rules and various ways for saving our income tax.

  16. Naveen Kumar says:

    informative & nice article who help me to understand how to save tax 😀 thanx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *