How to claim HRA if your Landlord does not have PAN Card?

Its time that companies have started asking for Income Tax Investment proofs along with your HRA (House Rent Allowance) proof. As most of you might be aware as per notification from Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) made it mandatory for for anyone paying more than Rs. 1 lakh rent per annum to provide rent receipts along with their landlord’s PAN number for claiming HRA exemption (Read details by clicking here).

But there might be case that your landlord might not have a PAN card. 

In that case you would need to submit a declaration from landlord stating that “He/She does not have PAN Number from Income Tax Department”. I have attached one such format. You can download the same and get it signed from your landlord.

[button link=”” color=”#1b2dc5″ size=”3″ style=”1″ dark=”0″ radius=”auto” target=”self”]Download the Declaration in Doc Format[/button]


PAN Card declaration from Landlord
PAN Card declaration from Landlord

7 thoughts on “How to claim HRA if your Landlord does not have PAN Card?”

  1. Sorry my question was not very clear. I was asking if Landlord PAN # should be given to Tax authorities by the companies which we obtained from employees paying more INR 1,80,000 per year. Thanks much for your answer

    1. True! if the rent paid is more than Rs 2 Lakhs then you should send the PAN number to tax authorities. This is my understanding but you might want to consult a tax expert.

  2. I work in HR and we have collected PAN # of our employees whose rent declaration is above 1,80,000 INR in a year. Does the company need to furnish PAN # to tax authorities or is it only for proof when needed.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *