The bonds market is already abuzz with Tax free bonds and now Dredging Corporation of India is coming out with its Rs. 500 crore public issue of tax free secured redeemable non-convertible bonds. Here are the details
Dredging Corporation of India Tax Free Bonds – Significant Points:
- Offer Period: March 7 – March 15, 2013 (the offer can be pre-closed on full subscription)
- Annual Interest Rates for Retail Investors:
- 7.47% for 10 Years
- The interest rates are 6.97% for HNIs, QIBs and corporate subscribers.
- Price of each bond: Rs 1,000
- Minimum Investment: 5 Bonds (Rs 5,000)
- Max Investment Limit for Retail Investor: Rs 10 Lakhs
- Reservation: 40% reserved for retail investors
- Rating: BWR AA+ and CARE AA
- Allotment: First Come First Serve
- Listing: Bonds would be listed on both NSE and BSE and will entail capital gains tax on exit through secondary market
- You can apply for these bonds in the Demat or the physical format, but for trading you need to have them in the Dematerialized format.
- Step Down Clause: The bonds will come with a step-down clause, according to which only the original allottee, who has subscribed under the retail category will receive the coupon of 7.47% depending on tenure. On sale or transfer, the benefit is lost and rates reduce to that applicable for other investors (6.97%).
Why you should invest?
- The bonds are secured to the full extent and Dredging Corporation of India is a Government of India undertaking
- The interest rates on future tax free bonds might be lower as RBI might moderate its policy rates further
- Reduction in interest rates would means an increase in the price of bonds thus giving capital gains
Why you should not invest?
- The interest rate offered by PPF is 8.8% tax free. You should exhaust your maximum PPF limit of Rs. 1 Lakh before you look for tax free bonds
- Even if you want to invest in Tax Free Bonds – HUDCO Tax Free Bonds are better option at similar credit rating.
- If you are not in higher tax slab of 20% or more
- These bonds don’t make much sense for NRIs as they can get better returns on NRE fixed deposits with banks that offer rates of around 9 per cent, tax-free
Dredging Corporation of India Tax Free Bonds – Who should apply?
As I said above, I don’t know why anyone should opt for these bonds. HUDCO Tax Free Bonds are better option as it offers 7.53% vs 7.47% by Dredging Corporation of India.
About Dredging Corporation of India:
Dredging Corporation of India is a Govt. of India undertaking and is a Mini Ratna Category I PSU. The Company provides dredging services. The Company caters to the dredging requirements of the Haldi/Kolkata Port. The Company also caters to the maintenance of dredging requirements to other ports, Indian Navy. The Company provides capital dredging for creation of new harbors, deepening of existing harbors or maintenance of various ports.